Saturday, March 20, 2010

bad women...

Part 2 of today's Creative Group Experiment. (Here's part 1.)

Bad Women.

I took a trip when I was first married (pregnant, in fact, with my son).
I stayed in a youth hostel.
(To save money. Also, because I had always wanted to.)
I found myself fascinated with my roommates, mostly young women (some American, some not) just out of school and taking time to travel the world a bit. We talked till late into the night. Well, they talked, and I mostly listened, enthralled by their courage, their experience, their independence, etc...

After returning home, I was talking about my trip with family and mentioned the world-traveling women I had met. The Patriarch of the family got a look on his face (still have a hard time explaining that look~ sort of like deer-in-the-headlights, but not quite). Then He made his pronouncement:
"Those women do NOT want to be mothers!"

[bad... unnatural... evil...]

And then the topic was closed.

4 comments:

Stella said...

I've stayed in MANY MANY hostels. I've traveled the world from Mongolia to Rio to Quebec to Indonesia and on and on and on....

and I don't have kids.


Maybe he was right :)

galen dara said...

[¡¡¡you perversion of nature, you!!!]

god, do I ever love you Stella
:)

adamf said...

Would he say the same thing about men? I.e. do world-traveling men NOT want to be fathers? Wha? I traveled, and I wanted to be a father. Where's the rub?

galen dara said...

adamF- yah. But he is a traditionalist to the core and what's okay for men is not what's okay for women
(to his way of thinking, women lawyers are also unnatural. I got a great story about that one I may tell sometime.)