Wednesday, June 8, 2011

recovery drink


recovery drink
Originally uploaded by galendara
Want to know what I have been using as my after-marathon recovery drink? Beer. Lots of it. A whole variety, but mostly leaning towards the rich and dark kinds (pictured here is a pint of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout) though I did not hesitate to grab my complimentary MGD at the finish line. Mostly because I would never actually pay money to drink MGD.

Maybe it's in response to the pre-marathon regimen I was on: I had almost eliminated alcohol (as well as most sugary refined foods) from my diet. So maybe this is just me 'catching up', binge style.

But I have heard that beer is actually a better 'recovery' drink than water after vigorous exercise. So... yes. Drinking beer. As part of a carefully calculated recovery program. :P

(btw... I have signed up to do another marathon, at the end of this year. MORE BEER!!! :D)

4 comments:

Vajra said...

I think this is actually important information. it also contributes to relaxation which is often difficult after exercise. Think of the difference between fatigue and relaxation…

Ps I'm training for a 5k…

galen dara said...

thank you Vajra! And good luck on your 5k!

"Nana" said...

soooo...I've been doing it RIGHT all these years??? :P

missoularedhead said...

Actually, yes (says the beer goddess) beer not only has the alcohol for relaxation, but contains essential amino acids and quick uptake sugars. Even better -- at least for the oatmealy, Guinness-y types do -- they contain as much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal. Which means you're getting all the stuff gatorade would have, plus fiber.